The days in school (Monday-Friday) I am challenging myself to following the Paleo guidelines.
When embarking on a challenge that changes the way you eat there is one thing that for me is needed....
"For the Love of the Game" anyone? Anyone?
There are many foods that if I have them in the house, or know that they are there, I want to eat them.
When beginning the a new way of eating it helps to "clear the mechanism" by:
- Clearing the house of your triggers...for me it's fruity candy or chips. I see them and want them period.
- Communicate with your loved ones...roommates...etc. what your triggers are and if need be ask them not to buy them or leave them out. I know this sounds cray cray but I did ask my hubby to hide the bag of candy he bought...and boy he did a great job because yes I looked for it!!
- Replace triggers with healthy choices...if I'm craving that crunch there are many veggies I can nosh on. Often times for me it is just the crunch I'm looking for.
- When all else fails...go for a walk. Getting out of the house for me helps me to stop thinking about that food that I want to eat...the fresh air and added mileage isn't too shabby either!
- Have a plan of attack...you've just cleared out all your triggers yes but if you aren't prepared there WILL come a time when you are STARVING and you need food NOW. Being prepared ahead of time will help you to stick with your plan.
- Tell people you see daily...this will help them to know not to bring you food and it will help you to stay on task knowing that others are watching.
- For me I'm steering clear of the Teacher's Room...aka the dumping ground where everyone brings their goodies they want out of their house!
What tips would you add for someone trying out a new way of eating? Are you a salty or a sweet craver?